Staying hydrated contributes to nice skin, mobile joints, and good health. So why is it so hard to get your senior Mom to drink enough water? While you may never have a specific answer to that question, you can probably solve the problem with a little creativity. Here are a few tips to help you get started.
- The problem might be that she doesn't want the extra fluid intake to cause more nighttime trips to the bathroom. So encourage her to start drinking early and avoid it in the evening.
- Flavor the water with fruit. Some people actually enjoy the taste of plain water. But many of us will find it more palatable after it has been in a pitcher with strawberries, watermelon, and the like.
- Promote hydration through fruits and vegetables. Green peppers, cucumbers, celery, cantaloupe, oranges, and more, all have a high water content.
- Make her some smoothies. There are so many delicious recipes online, and the possibilities are endless. Using her favorite fruits and vegetables, you can likely think of some great combinations.
- Keep the water within her reach. Getting up a few times a day just to get a drink can be cumbersome. So try keeping a pitcher and cup, or water bottle on a table or nightstand nearby.
Other ideas include fruit juices, sports drinks, and popsicles. Try a few things until you find out what works. Mom's body will definitely benefit during the summer and all year long.
At Caring Senior Service, our expert staff is comprised of extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and trusted professionals who take pride in helping your loved one manage their daily activities. Contact us today to learn more!